Saturday, January 17, 2009

The upcoming offer

Heard from producer, he's putting offer in writing to my agent. I can predict what comes next: agent wants more money upfront for me than he's offering. So they negotiate and either agree or not. Also, interesting and typical subtext: producer says he's eager to settle this so we (he and I) can "talk about the script." In other words, what changes he wants to make. And he typically won't get into the details of this until there is a done deal.

A few years back, after I signed a deal, the producer for the first time revealed that he wanted to cut the age of the protagonist in half, which undermined the story. You never know what is going on until they get control.

So I'm not as excited about this as I would be if younger with less experience in the LaLaLand Dance. But it is a genuine opportunity and, in fact, I hope it happens. But I see the handwriting on the wall: I predict the money issue finds them pretty far apart. We'll see. And we'll see how badly the producer really wants this script.

Of course, I hope there's a deal and mostly on my agent's terms. But ... I've been here before. Hollywood is the land where Yes means No.

No comments: