Saturday, January 31, 2009

Public politics and the secret ballot

I have strong childhood memories of my parents at the dinner table, discussing whether or not a recent friend was a Republican or not. This might occupy them for months. In the meantime, they'd see more and more of the new friend, and the closer the relationship, the more curious they'd be. It was impolite to ask. And there was no way to know -- one no more discussed political beliefs, a private matter, than religious beliefs, another private matter. If eventually, somehow, they learned, then my dad might say upon occasion, "He's a great guy for a Republican," and then laugh like hell.

I know folks today who would not befriend a Republican "on principle." There are disadvantages to public politics. We become less tolerant. For example, when I am shocked that an acquaintance supports the mayor, I find myself thinking less of their intellect and value system.

It's easy to assume we're right and everyone else is wrong. Another thing I remember my dad saying at the dinner table is, "Flo, it's none of your business." She was more inclined to gossip than he was.

I remain baffled about supporters of the mayor. It's difficult to do so but my respect for epistemology -- how do we know what we know? -- embraces the possibility that this reflects my own blind spot, not theirs. I don't think so but stranger things have happened. Many years ago, a very close friend of mine turned out to be a pedophile. I still can't compute it. But there you have it.

A society based on the secret ballot rather than on public politics is easier to live in. Or is it?

No comments: