Thursday, April 26, 2007

A long day

A full day of student conferences, which brings me to the office at 7:30. I'll scoot home around 11 to see how my buddy Sketch is doing, then come back for an afternoon fuller than morning.

Forecast for the weekend is great weather, so I'd better stay home Saturday and do lawn work. Maybe I can take a morning trip to Dufur, then get back to do chores in the afternoon. Still feel like a trip. H returns Monday so Sunday, of course, will be spent trying to make the place look like it looked when she left, which clearly it doesn't at the moment ha ha.

These days are exhausting. I follow with a short class. Pass out and discuss their take-home Midterms (already!), which are due Tuesday.

There's a terrific book out on E.T., which not only has the script but tons of production notes about changes and such, a real inside look at how a movie is made. I'm seriously considering using it in the fall. Have to decide soon.

I'll be using my book, of course, and SIDEWAYS again (it's still the most "spec like" shooting script I've seen), and one other book, dropping two I've been using this year. I'll still show CASABLANCA right away and I'm thinking of showing MANHATTAN early on as well, especially since it has fun with the romantic genre into which part of C. fits. Might be an interesting pair to watch together. Decisions, decisions!

I doubt if the Cold War novel draft will be finished by summer since I've gotten so little done on it recently. The summer project. I'm also increasingly eager to begin NAILS IN MY COFFIN, in part because I'm eager to write about aging and the elderly in our youth-oriented culture. Lots of darkly comic ideas for this one. And I've never done "a novel of stories" and a different (for me) story strategy is always exciting to explore. A good summer shaping up!

Onward.

No comments: