Sunday, April 29, 2007

Hitchcock on murder


    Finally, I think I can best describe the insidious effect of murder on one's character by reading a paragraph from Thomas De Quincey's delightful essay "Murder as One of the Fine Arts." He said: "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination. Once begun on this downward path, you never know where you are to stop. Many a man dates his ruin from some murder or other that perhaps he thought little of at the time."
    They tell me that murder is committed every minute, so I don't want to waste any more of your time. I know you want to get to work. Thank you.
 powered by clipmarksblog it

No comments: