Sunday, April 22, 2007

Community

clipped from news.yahoo.com


BLACKSBURG, Va. - Still grieving and increasingly wary of the media spotlight, Virginia Tech students returned to their beleaguered campus Sunday, preparing to salvage the final weeks of a semester eclipsed by violence.

The scene on campus resembled move-in day in late summer, with parents helping their children carry suitcases into dormitories. There were tears and hugs goodbye. But instead of excitement for the year ahead, there was simply determination to endure and regroup in the fall.

A number of students said they had been drawn to the comforts of home immediately after the shooting, but now were drawn back to the tight-knit Virginia Tech community.

"When we hit (Route) 460 and we could see the campus, we both started crying," said sophomore Ashleigh Shifflett, eating a picnic lunch with her sister Regan near memorials to the victims on the central campus lawn. "I was happy to see my family, but I felt like I needed to be here, and when I came back here, it was like I'm home."

 powered by clipmarksblog it

No comments: