Saturday, April 28, 2007

When the reach is greater than the grasp

Hit the road this morning, thinking we were taking a trip to Dufur. Had dog food, water, my camera. Then a funny thing happened. Or rather, a series of things.

First, just under way, I thought, If I were younger, I'd pass Dufur and go straight to Idaho. I could make Orofino before dinner, visit Esther (Dick's mom), maybe even drive up to Moscow and visit Brad. 7 hrs driving was nothing then. In fact, 14 hrs driving was nothing. I used to drive from LA to Medford in one shot all the time when I was going to UCLA. Visit my folks, turn around and go back in one shot. No big deal.

Today, about 4 hrs on the road and I'm ready to call it a day. And it occurred to me, this was about what the Dufur trip would be. A full day's driving for me today.

At the same time, dialog was running in my brain and I wanted to get it down. Continuing where I'd left off in the novel. What was I doing on the road when I should be home writing?

So we turned around and came back. The trip to Dufur became a morning drive to the suburbs. 2 hrs later, home. And I'm delighted to be here, too.

No comments: