Saturday, March 28, 2009

Remembering Juniper County


Tim Streeter published this old poster on Facebook. Nice somebody remembers Juniper County! (where I set a number of plays in the 1980s). Now that I think about it, it's the 20th anniversary of the "Charles Deemer's Oregon" theater season at the Firehouse Theatre, when Steve Smith dedicated a season to a "retrospective" of my work, reviving several plays and ending with a new one, Varmints, which I rec'd an Oregon Arts Commission grant to write. Little did I know that a "retrospective" was rather like a funeral ha ha. 1989 pretty much marked the end of my theatrical career in Portland. You celebrate a fine body of work, then you lock the door. Interesting and strange. (The new work continued to be appreciated elsewhere, just not here. For example, my play Famililly, which won an international competition, still has never been done here. Go figure.)

No comments: