Thursday, March 19, 2009

Intriguing reunion

I'm generally not big on reunions. I've had over 50 opportunities to go to my high school reunion and have passed every time. On the other hand, I'd go to a reunion of my class of Russian linguists in the Army Security Agency in a flash. Some experiences are more memorable than others. And so I am intrigued and delighted to learn that a summer reunion in Eugene is planned for all English graduate students who attended the University of Oregon between 1965 and 1975. I was there for 9 of these 11 years, first as a Ph.D. candidate, then as an M.F.A. candidate, and after getting my degree, as a part-time instructor, waiting for my wife at the time to finish up her doctorate. So I expect to be there! I think I'll bring the video vest and shoot a lot with a documentary in mind.

There's always a certain trepidation about these affairs, too. People change. I've run into people I was very close to decades later and discovered that all we had in common now were our war stories. There's also a good chance I'll run into a certain someone that may prove awkward. What the hell. Onward.

No comments: