Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The great canine welcome

Nobody welcomes you home like a dog. Sketch is no exception. He goes ape when I come home from the university, especially if H is gone, as tonight. And we've developed this "welcome home" ritual, that goes like this: he leaps up on me until I sit down, at which time he leaps into my lap and furiously licks my face. Eventually he jumps off and races into the bedroom. When I enter, I find him on the bed with his butt stuck up in the air. I obediently scratch it, and after a while he jumps up to lick my face again, balancing himself with two paws on my chest. When he tires of this, he runs around the house some more, on and off and over various items of furniture, eventually finding his bone, grabbing it, and racing to a corner to settle down and chew on it. The welcome is over. Now I can think about dinner.

No comments: