Wednesday, November 19, 2008

25th anniversary



January 5, 2009, will be the 25th anniversary of the opening of my play Christmas at the Juniper Tavern, which remains my "claim to fame" in the Northwest, I suppose. (My play Famililly, which won an international competition and several other awards, still has never been produced in the Northwest. Go figure.)

There are a lot of amusing war stories associated with this production, which I'll save for January 5th. A local play reading group asked for permission to read it next month. Often someone is producing it around now but this year I haven't heard about anyone. Of course, one wonders how much is done without permission. Twice I've stumbled across small theater groups who produced a play of mine without permission, and therefore without royalties. My personal favorite play was done in NYC this way in a cafe! This pissed me off. I didn't learn until over a year later, when I found the poster on the net. Actually if a company identifies itself as poor, I often waive royalties or insist they be divided among the actors. You don't get rich on small theater productions.

No comments: