Monday, August 18, 2008

POD DVD

Print-on-demand DVDs are a terrific idea for someone like myself who doesn't need very many copies. Just made two bundles for Small Screen Video at CreateSpace, the Digital Summer 2007 shorts and the three best to date bundle. Made the covers in Photoshop. If you do the production work yourself, everything is free. The individual DVDs cost a bit more per unit but I don't have minimums the way I do at Columbia, where even the 25 minimum order is sometimes a hell of a lot more than I need. So this will be an extraordinary convenience! And the packaging is first rate, very professional. I think CreateSpace smokes Lulu in this area. I already said that here, more than once. Books are another story: they are about even and the cost to the customer is a bit less at Lulu. But of course with CS you get automatic inclusion at Amazon.

What a fascinating world of technology we have. If I were younger, or maybe I should say young, I think I would found a periodical that reviews digital literary and film products, a kind of clearing house to bring the best stuff forward. This service is very badly needed. It's a jungle out there with a lot of home movies stuff and some crap and a ton of mediocre work -- but also a few extraordinary gems. There needs to be a trusted resource that sorts it all out.

1 comment:

flit said...

I visited Lulu for the first time today and was surprised at the number of DVD offerings. Was not aware that there even were POD DVDs until today - tells how much I pay attention.


flitting on Fiction