Saturday, August 09, 2008

Robert Edwards on brooding

My writer friend Robert Edwards tried to comment here on "brooding" but it didn't take. Here's what he wrote:

Yes, brooding is needed;
it stimulates, sparks, and ignites the creative
process. I like that.
Brooding is often maligned, as if it were the same
as squandering time.
If you had a cud like a cow, or a cheek filled with
chew, like a ballplayer, you would not be brooding
but ruminating.
If you were under the discipline of a guru, you would
not be brooding but meditating.
If you were a Franciscan monk of the strongest
observance, you would not be a brooder, or a
meditatior, you would be called a contemplative.
If you are a poet, you do not brood, you ponder.
Yes, to brood or not to brood, it all comes down
to diction. If you tell all your tales
in a bar, you are tagged as a bar room bullshiter.
However; if you write the same tales and publish
those tales, you are no longer a bullshiter, but
an artist and your bullshit suddenly ascends into
the lofty category of autobiographical fiction.
Charles, "brooding" as pre-work. I like that, In
fact, I like it a lot! I'm going to adapt it as
my own and use it to defend my life. Brooding conotes
dark, haunting thoughts of great depth and
philosophically profound.
If you are old, toothless and bald and unemployed
then you are not a meditator or a contemplative,
or a brooder, but a man who does not pay attention,
the worst thinker of them all, the daydreamer and
the daydreamer, daydreams. He is a frivilous,
irrelevant man of no great account. He is wasting
his time, squandering his life. But no more! Now,
I shall brood, and the world will refer to me as
Edwards, the brooder. Yes, Charles, brooding and
more brooding. I like that. Thank you!



No comments: