Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fiction ahead of the curve

In 1975 Edward Abbey published The Monkey Wrench Gang, a novel with a social/political conscience ahead of the curve.

Easily Abbey's most famous fiction work, the novel concerns the use of sabotage to protest environmentally damaging activities in the American Southwest, and was so influential that the term "monkeywrench" has come to mean, besides sabotage and damage to machines, any violence, sabotage, activism, law-making, or law-breaking to preserve wilderness, wild spaces and ecosystems. It is the bible of what some critics call "eco terrorists".

Source

This comes to mind because a socio-political blog entry by a young colleague of mine was filled with so much energy that I couldn't help but envision "a novel ahead of the curve" coming out of her passion. But it's hard to predict what colleagues will write, or why, and I suppose I should mind my own business. But reading the entry, I thought, Damn, what great material for a novel!

1 comment:

Grimus said...

Do you have the link to that blog entry? Abby/Moab man myself, curious to see what this young blogger says.