Saturday, August 30, 2008

Friday Night Lights

I'm hooked on two TV series: Friday Night Lights and Mad Men.

I especially like the way FNL is shot.

Friday Night Lights is unusual in its use of actual locations as opposed to prefabricated stage sets and its lack of any sound stage for filming. This, along with the production team using hundreds of locals as extras, gives the series a uniquely authentic look.[24]

The drive towards authenticity continues in the show’s documentary style filming technique which employs three cameras for each shoot and shoots entire scenes in one take. This differs from most productions in that most productions will film scenes from each angle repeating an average scene several times and readjusting lighting to accommodate each shot. The show is mostly improvised and scenes in the show are usually the first takes. By filming a scene all at once, the producers have tried to create an environment for the actors that is more organic and allows for the best performances.[25]

Source

I'm considering using a similar technique when I shoot my first feature next summer. I'm also thinking of doing something with the color to give it a faded older look. I don't want to do it in black and white, done that, but give it a less bright, more subdued color look. I'll start fiddling with settings soon and see if I stumble upon something that looks right to me.

No comments: