Tuesday, August 12, 2008

From wired hell to guarded optimism

Yesterday sucked. It began well enough: I finished editing the silent comedy! Pleased with it. So let's burn a DVD. And that's when the nightmare began.

I burn within the editing program, Premiere Elements, and I was getting no sound. Yet my source files had sound and an exported AVI played with sound in media players. Well, I tried this, that and the other. I even downloaded a freeware DVD burner -- and got sound, though the video quality wasn't very good.

Finally I reinstalled the editing program. And now I have guarded optimism, which is to say, a "preview" of the DVD has sound. So maybe when I burn one later this morning, after getting some sleep!, I'll have sound. I just want one good DVD so I can get copies made at Columbia.

An adventure like yesterday I don't need very often. I got absolutely nothing done after the trouble, spent hours and hours trying to work around it. Should have just reinstalled the software from the beginning -- well, assuming I'm fixed now, which I don't really know. But I do have sound in the preview.

No comments: