Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It's a wrap

With Sunset Hearts and the DVD finished, my incredible digital summer is officially over. Three months ago, my goal was to finish three short films. I finished eight -- plus two long video interviews with musicians, for OLR. No project is perfect, far from it it. Yet most also have strengths. I learned what I'm good at and bad at as a filmmaker. I'm planning fall projects and expect to get better.

As a summer bonus, I've met a number of talented actors and used several in more than one project. I have a group to cast from, or at least to give first shot at a role to. My next project, for example, is practically pre-cast with actors from previous projects. Echoes of my wonderful years as playwright-in-residence.

My favorite summer projects are Sunset Hearts, Honky Tonk and Scrapple, Grits, Biscuits & Gravy, probably in that order.

My front burner project now is to finish the script of Like Mother, Like Daughter so I can cast it and find locations, perhaps start shooting in October.
Also active, the libretto to the first of two pop operas.

And a return to the writing projects I abandoned to make summer films instead of writing.

So today is a household day, chores to catch up on. Maybe all week. School stuff to prepare. What a summer ride.

No comments: