Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I Want To Be Struck By Lightning


I want to be struck by lightning

I want to be minding my own business
pushing a cart in the supermarket
filling the car with gas
buying stamps at the post office
and be struck by lightning

It will happen the moment our eyes meet

It will happen without warning
no clouds, no wind
no weather forecast
minding my own business
when suddenly
SHAZAM!

what happens next doesn't matter

whether we kiss near the broccoli
whether we fondle by the ethyl pump
whether we fuck at the stamp machine

or whether we run in opposite directions
it doesn't matter

what matters is
I was struck by lightning

and didn't expect it
and didn't plan for it
and didn't understand it
and didn't know how to react to it

and found myself sweating
heart pumping
head spinning
losing breath
losing my mind

losing my comfort

I want to be struck by lightning
and go from there

--Charles Deemer

No comments: