Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Off-broadway boom

The stagehand strike, which has closed down most shows on Broadway, has triggered a boom in off-Broadway shows, which don't use union stagehands. Tourists, stuck in NYC with no shows to see, are being adventurous for a change and wandering off the mainstream to buy theater tickets. Off-Broadway theaters report sold-out houses and, best, enthusiastic responses. Maybe the word will get out: a few blocks away is a $30 show as good as the $150 show on BW!

My last off-BW experience was a nightmare. I've talked about it here before. My play Who Forgives? was scheduled but the director and I locked horns over a scene he wanted added but which I refused to write because it would undermine the entire play. I ended up pulling the script. If this had been a film, I would have been fired and the scene written by the newly hired writer. But in theater, for the writer, it's my way or the highway.


More about this experience
.

No comments: