Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Marketing lecture

Today is "marketing lecture" day, during which I tell my students everything I know about getting a script read in LaLaLand when you're not down there to hustle it. Yes, it can be done, but it takes a strategy, persistence and the distraction of writing a new script (so you don't worry too much about the fate of the previous one). I've had students use the strategy, which is an email marketing strategy, to advantage. I also answer, or try to, all the "real world" questions they have about screenwriting. It's usually a lively day.

I also pick up the next-to-last draft of the scripts, to be read over the holiday weekend. This term has flown by.

In December, I'll be getting the new issue of the review out. This is shaping up to be our "video" issue, with more video than ever and coming from more sources. I have two video interviews with blues musicians, Primus is videotaping poets reading, and Julie has her usual discoveries. I like this emphasis myself since it sets us apart from the jillions of online journals out there.

It's looking like we might do turkey at Old Country Buffet. It could be worse.

No comments: