Sunday, February 01, 2009

The mayor's strategy?

I'm beginning to think that the mayor's strategy is to lay low for six months and hope the energy dissipates for a recall election. I can already see the energy dissipating, so he may be right. Maybe energy can be renewed down the road but the "Not With Sam" website, for example, begins with "We had a rally today...", referring to Wednesday. Nobody is even updating the site. There's nothing that turns me off more than going to a topical website to find dated information. I bet I'm not alone.

On Facebook, the numbers in groups supporting the mayor slaughter the relative few in groups who call for his removal or resignation. Maybe there are more young folks, who are more Internet savvy, supporting the mayor -- all those Obama supporters who don't comprehend the great contradiction they embody.

At any rate, if a Martian were snooping around the net, the alien would conclude that the mayor is very safe indeed because of such a majority of supporters visible and active in cyberspace. Too bad -- but there you have it.

Which brings me back to this: the best chance those of us who want the mayor gone have is in the formal investigation by the Attorney General, which has to find unlawful activity great enough for charges and/or enough to end the silence of most of our spineless commissioners. I am losing confidence in a recall election because I don't see any staying power. It must happen sooner than this.

No comments: