Wednesday, February 11, 2009

2 good scripts

2 very fine student scripts on the pile this morning. One even professionally done. The other is a mess from a technical standpoint, many dumb elementary errors -- the writer isn't thinking like a screenwriter in this regard -- but the story, a short, is so powerful, the characterizations strong, and best, the overall story strategy and sequence design so good, that once all the dumb errors are fixed, easily done, this will be a short so strong I expect to ask to publish it in the review. Not often I see a script so weak in the technical aspects that still captures a strong film storytelling strategy. The first, wow, the single "natural screenwriter" in my class this term, very strong indeed.

And I'm really looking forward to reading the complete draft from my continuing student, another "natural born screenwriter."

p.s. Later. A 3rd student script blew me away, a political thriller as good as what gets made.

No comments: