Saturday, February 07, 2009

Strange day, sort of

Began the day with high expectations of getting a lot of writing done -- and got none done. Mistake, I think, was doing errands early in the morning, got me off rhythm. Still, the highlight of the day was seeing THE READER, a fabulous film, another wonderfully layered script written by David Hare (THE HOURS), first rate performances by Kate Winslet and others, if this doesn't get best actress and best adapted screenplay, well, too bad. Gets my non-counting vote. I'd give it best film, too. Loved it. But here's the bad news: every time a fine complex layered AMERICAN film like this comes around, it's based on a novel. Original stories of this caliber have a damn hard time getting made. Unfortunate.

An opera, live, tomorrow afternoon. I have a few students to attend to. Maybe tomorrow evening if I can get writing in the morning. Still brooding about the end of the screenplay and still eager to look at what I have on the novel, working title SCORPIO SETTING.

Our nice neighbors up front, who are renting, have to move because the owner of the house can't refinance to avoid a balloon payment, so has to sell the house. We have a balloon payment coming due ourselves in a couple years, had planned to move before then but now not so sure.

It's one of those nights when I miss the hell out of my friends who have passed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charles, Hope you don't mind my jumping in here with my realtor hat on, but if you have a balloon coming, *now* is a very good time to check into a refinance because rates really are at historic lows. I'd be happy to give advice on good lenders and going through the process. If you do look into it, don't give up if you get turned down. Sometimes people give up after one turn down and this is often a mistake. Some lenders are able to put a loan together that others cannot, sometimes.
I'm enjoying following your posts.
--Laurie Sonnenfeld