Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Rise and shine

Up in somewhat better spirits. Today I'll make DVDs for the actors.

I don't much participate in the social events associated with the arts but on September 15th I'll make an exception because it's an event being put together by folks who matter to me, a Slabtown celebration to celebrate NW Pdx, or at least what the neighborhood used to be, and the historian at McMenamen's (yes, they have one) asked if I'd read from Christmas at the Juniper Tavern, my "classic" of the 80s. I said yes. Interestingly enough, a week prior someone from the NW Examiner asked if I'd perform some Guthrie music for the event but I haven't performed in so long I'd have to start rehearsing now and I don't have the time for it. I declined. But reading from JT is a snap, it's in my blood, even if I seldom actually do it. My agent at the time said of NW Pdx in the 80s, "this is the way Greenwich Village used to be," and told me to fight against it changing. Fat chance. We couldn't even save more than three trees in the huge orchards next to us. The building has begun, by the way, on one of the homes. I hope they don't do them one at a time (there will be eight, I think) but this may happen. Not a pleasant sight, though H gets more upset about it than I do. I save my angst for more literary matters.

It's a long slow process rendering files and making DVDs. I'll practice piano while I'm waiting.

An interview after work downtown with an actor from the 80s. My next-to-last one, I think. I need to get into the newspaper archives soon.

No comments: