Saturday, July 21, 2007

Last gasp?

I made my peace with the marketplace years ago, realizing my sensibilities are not "popular" ones. And yet every writer, or most, wants "to score" and put some money in the bank. I'd certainly like to leave a fat bank account for H (I assume she will outlive me: what an earthquake it would be if not!). So here I am, looking at this contract with the new agent, thinking, well, it's been a while since you were connected at the center of the action, maybe it's time to make some real money for a change ...

I'm going to have an honest practical chat with the new guy. What I can write, and what he can sell, and see if there are any intersections. There are genres I simply cannot work in (horror, for example), and he needs to know that. He liked Ullie because it had a young female lead. All of these practical (alas) parameters come into play in the marketplace. Now that I'm making my own, totally my way, it's less "painful" to kiss the big ass of LaLaLand ... or at least sniff it. We'll see. Onward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deemer,
Thanks for keeping me up to date with your endeavors. You're an inspiration. Now all I have to do is throw out the junk in my head and do some serious writing.
Ralph in Duluth
No, I haven't seen B.Dylan