Sunday, July 22, 2007

Moliere

Coming out of the theater today, I saw a poster -- and stopped, in shock. Moliere. For over a decade I've been marketing my best screenplay, based on the life of Moliere (based on my stage play), and I knew his life would reach the screen. This was not an American film but it might still kill the slim hope I had of finding a producer. But then, at IMDb tonight, I see this summary:

In 1658, playwright/actor Molière, having been given a theater in the capital by the King, is back in Paris after touring the kingdom of France with his company of players. One day, a young lady asks him to follow her to the deathbed of her mother... Thirteen years earlier, Molière already runs a troupe but goes broke and is thrown to prison. Fortunately (?) his debt is covered by Monsieur Jourdain, a rich man who wants him to help him rehearse a one-act play he has written with a view to seducing a beautiful bright young widow, Célimène. As Jourdain is married to Elmire, and is the "respectable" father of two daughters his design must remain secret so Molière is introduced into the house as Tartuffe, an austere priest... Written by Guy Bellinger

This is not even about Moliere's life but apparently is a concoction suggesting the origins of Tartuffe. So this is probably irrelevant in a real sense, but of course "reality" has nothing to do with anything in LaLaLand.

If this film bombs, I'm worse off because most producers would not get past the title (Moliere has been done and it stinks). But if this film is big, well, I would be better off.

But what a weird story this sounds like! Does anyone see the extraordinary drama in his actual life?

No comments: