Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Adventures in editing

Well, I think I have the first part of Moments about as good as I can make it with the tools at hand. Competitions for "small screen videos" are restrictive on what tools you use, so I'm going to work with what I have in order to qualify, should I choose to enter something one day.

The two major problems I encountered were both my fault. One line is delivered wrong in all five takes, and it's my responsibility to catch and fix something like that. I used the least wrong delivery, with the actress off camera, even though it's an odd spot for a reaction shot.

In the other problem, in a closeup in the kitchen, a shiny surface behind the actress reflected my shirt in the frame! However, I was able to slide the face over to one end of the screen, hiding this, and looking very artsy fartsy, alas, with the setup. But I wanted the close shot.

You are constantly making trades in a practical process like this. When you have a problem, you do the best you can, trying to maximize what you are able to do.

However, I am in fact very pleased with the first section. I worry the second section may be too long ... I may look at ways to trim it. It will be a harder section to edit, technically, because of some visual parameters I've established for this part.

I still have to decide on how to present my ending, too. It's a tad surrealistic.

No comments: