Friday, June 15, 2007

Scam agents

In the mail bag:

Mr. Deemer, thank you. I think your willingness to put your insights public (along with others) just saved me being robbed as a new writer. My book xxx is memoirs about a topic very important to me, the mysterious death of my child. I would have been devastated had I been robbed by an agent who has asked to see my manuscript, Michele Rooney.

Yes, she's one of the bad ones. Here's a list of the Twenty Worst Agents.

Rooney charges a "nominal" marketing fee, about $40 a month, which sounds innocent enough but is not the way the legitimate agents run their business. Yet if you get 100 newbie writers to send you $40 a month, well, you do the math. There is no record of her having ever sold a book, and she's been doing this since about 2000.

Also see the Preditors & Editors website for much valuable information.

No comments: