Sunday, June 24, 2007

Jazz singers

Driving to the university to upload some large audio files to the review, I listened to jazz as I usually do and the featured artist was Mark Murphy. Murphy was my late dear friend Ger's favorite vocalist. But not mine. We had sporting arguments about jazz singers all the time. Ends up we belonged to different schools.

There are two basic approaches to jazz singing: 1. communicate the song first and foremost; 2. use the song as a vehicle to communicate the voice as well as the song.

Of the latter, the "embellishment singers," are Murphy, Mel Torme, Ella Fitzgerald -- and, in fact, most jazz singers.

Those who sing without embellishment to communicate the song, period, are Frank Sinatra, Chris Connor, Billie Holiday and a few others. These singers rely on phrasing and tone; the former rely on a lot of vocal histrionics, usually called scat singing.

I can admire the vocal range and dexterity of a Fitzgerald or Murphy but they don't move me. Chris Connor moves me. Billie Holiday moves me. Frank Sinatra moves me. They believe that less is more, as I do.



I feel like I'm only a few hours away from finishing the review now but I don't have energy to spend those hours today, at least not now. Maybe later.

Damn, I'm eager to rehearse some scripts! I'll learn so much when I actually start directing actors to do certain things. I think I can make each script work within the parameters set by their skill levels. I may be wrong but I believe I can get the performances I need from them. I saw the potential in the screen tests. Everything will be low-key and understated, and I think it's easier to bring actors down than to bring them up. Most actors try to do too much. Once again: less is more. So my job is to stick the camera right in their face and get them to emote the right emotion, in a subtle but clear way, at the right moment. I think my actors are good. I see so many possibilities in the screen tests. I just have to make them comfortable and secure enough to do what they can do.

"Moments" will be the first one done, I'm sure. It's short. In Thursday's reading I'll tell them where I'm coming from. We should be able to shoot about a week later unless folks are gone for the 4th. But soon. And then I get to do the real joy of these projects, editing. Man, I love editing. I spent a summer editing all my dad's 8mm films in the summer of 1966, and I've forgotten how much fun it is -- even more so on the computer. I love the software, even though I've just learned the basics.

I'm ready to finish the review and get shooting.

No comments: