Saturday, June 02, 2007

Hot dog buns


Fascinating what married couples can disagree on. We barbecued sausages and hot dogs tonight, and one thing this couple disagrees on is the hot dog bun. We had different childhoods, the basis of it: in H's house, bread was bought fresh at the bakery. Period. I, on the other hand, grew up on Wonder Bread. What can be better than a peanut butter sandwich on Wonder Bread? Or so I thought as a kid. H's mother would not, repeat would not, let WB in the house!

Today, I insist my hot dog buns come from Wonder Bread or some clone, similarly packaged. H gets fancy things that I don't even call hot dog buns -- I call them fancy rolls. If I wrapped my hot dog (and I prefer CHEAP hot dogs to H's kosher gourmet kind but I am more flexible here than with buns) in one of her buns (pardon the expression), well, it wouldn't be a hot dog. It might be a sandwich of some kind but I would NOT call it a hot dog.

But H also puts mustard on a hamburger, so what does she know?

No comments: