Monday, July 09, 2012

Back in the saddle again?


Hmm. I may have another novel in me after all. At least the old obsession/possession has returned, in the form of two old farts going to Tijuana to buy "security" drugs for rational exits when it's time, this in 2006 at the beginning of the cartel drug wars, in which they accidentally get involved. An original working title of "The Peaceful Pill Wars" became "Old Age v. the United States of America," a title I'm in love with. I switched to a first person narrative after an omniscient point of view in early pages of exploration. I have an opening paragraph I really like. Why, it's like Old Home Week in my brain!

No rush, no deadlines, no pressure. We'll see what happens. A novel written "on vacation". Because "on vacation" is my mantra these days.

I always like to imagine what such a project might look like, hence fiddling with a cover. 

In narrative strategy, I follow the Durrenmatt model here: a surface mystery/thriller overlaying strong ethical themes. I have a lot of research to do for this -- lazy, one of the reasons I switched to first person is to have LESS research to do, ha ha, I don't have to know anything the narrator doesn't know. Well, there are other reasons, too. But I am lazy in my old age.

No comments: