Wednesday, July 25, 2012

When it works out

From a former student:
I was in your class a couple of years ago. I don't know if you remember me...I wrote a screenplay/musical that you suggested I adapt to a stage play. It was titled "Somewhere" but I re-named it "For Pete's Sake!" and wrote lyrics for all the songs. I took your advice and made it into a play. 

I have had it read by theater critics and got some very encouraging feed back- it could actually be produced! I just wanted to let you know and thank you for being such a great professor! 
Since I've worked professionally in virtually all forms of narrative, one of the things I can do well is see when a story will work better in another form. Many students resist this advice. But now and again someone takes it and it works out.

No comments: