Friday, July 20, 2012

Transitions

I'm really struggling to define a new video project. I want it to be a series of short pieces on my blog. I want it to have narrative continuity and, of course, be interesting TO ME, and therefore to those with my sensibilities (few as they are). But so far, nothing. I expect to come up with something eventually.

I know how I want it to look. I want the narrative to require mobility through the city and area. I want to be able to do most of it alone, only occasionally engaging either an actor or a character on the street. I'd love for Sketch to play a major role. It might be a mystery. I suppose I am the lead character by default, which is fine. I want a strong but subversive element of social commentary, particularly about issues of aging. It might be a movie within a movie, serialized. It might have the feel of a video diary. I suspect there may be a mystery to solve at the head of the narrative.

I'll do some experimenting. The greatest challenge, perhaps, is getting the right look. The visual element. I have an idea for a 2-camera shoot through much of it. Do I get H involved? She's a character, to be sure.

Well, brooding is good for the soul. So I continue to brood about this. I bought a new camera, unable to resist a sale (and turning two others on to it), so now I am a three camera guy, and H has a fourth.

But I won't start until I am satisfied with the concept and structure. And I am a long ways from either, or so it seems to me at the moment. But this strikes me as the project to do, rather than writing something. My goddamn archive is large enough with writing! Words, words, words. I want to do something smaller, visual, that grows. I want to do something where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

And boy, do I have a lot of energy this morning! I suppose the crash will come about 9 or 10 this morning.

No comments: