Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Death of a Natural Man (poem)

My heart is old
My heart is tired
My heart is dying

And no wonder!
24/7 through 7 decades
pumping without stop
or hesitation

through bodily abuses
booze and women
not enough sleep
not enough nutrients

taken for granted
the engine that
drives it all
taken for granted

If I were my heart
I'd be tired too
and maybe a
little pissed

If my heart had
stopped in my sleep
saying screw you!
I would have understood

but it didn't, it
pumped as best
it could, misfiring
out of sync

and I dragged ass
before dragging myself
to a doctor

who gave me the lowdown
on this miracle machine
my heart

which in old age
needs a little help
from high tech

unless I want to
drag on like
a car on half cylinders

but a tiny wondrous
coin-shaped pacemaker
should do the trick
says the doc

and I say
I never intended to
become a bionic man

but I do feel sorry
for my old tired heart
I want to help

since this dying heart
for reasons known
only to itself
decided not to
cash in and
call it a day

which is what
I would've done

--Charles Deemer


1 comment:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Natural Man - we wait with you and hope for a speedy recovery. I was convinced you had 'mono' and would need the summer to recover, sigh good thing I never became a doctor.

Pacemaker sounds viable, we will have our old Deemer back in no time, after all there are tons of projects still unfinished.

Take care and be well soon.