Friday, January 15, 2010

Wonder

I have moments that come unannounced, as one did when I was doing errands this morning, when I am overwhelmed with a sense of my good fortune in this journey called life. I don't deserve good fortune. Indeed, there are reasons to assume I would have had bad fortune, certainly with regard to the way I abused my body for so many years. But here I am, still full of piss and vinegar despite the usual aches and pains of aging, a survivor of my 50s and 60s when any reasonable observer would have expected my departure. I'm still around. Moreover, I'm still around with considerable mental energy.

So I thank the gods for unexpected, maybe even unreasonable, favors. I do that a lot.


I need to remind myself that the media give a very false picture of the country. There are reasons to believe we are in better shape than they report. After all, we did elect Obama, a feat of considerable historic importance, a reason for national optimism. The fear mongers get far, far more voice than their numbers. There is more sanity in the country than the media lead us to believe.

No comments: