Friday, January 29, 2010

The last series

"Musical and dramatic notes for a chamber opera." More and more, this describes where my creative energy is now. I have three projects that could fit under this banner, one of which I'm working on now. All would be incomplete because I don't have the skill set to finish them. At the same time, none are worth dismissing because they "possess" me in that special way projects lodge in the mind and demand release. I have no idea how many I'll do in the time left to me. This work goes far more slowly than writing for me, primarily because of my lack of skills. What I compose to score in an hour would take a "real composer" a fraction of the time. Thems the breaks. I do what I can do, and I'm thrilled that I've taught myself, with the help of some piano lessons in reason years, to do as much as I can.

I hope I have time to finish at least one and get it out there where a composer might find it and run with it. We'll see! Onward.

No comments: