Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Breaking the unbreakable


A reporter at the electronics convention in Las Vegas last week broke an unbreakable cell phone, according to a story I read today. This reminds me of an incredible ad I saw in the early days of TV.

That master of wit Oscar Levant had an afternoon show in LA. Everything was live. He was doing an ad for an unbreakable clock, reading the words from cue cards obviously, and at one point, mentioning it was unbreakable, he stopped, got a crazed look on his face and slammed the clock against the floor. The camera couldn't keep up with his antics as he next started jumping on it. In the end, the clock was destroyed. I was amazed! And I saw it! And there was no instant replay in those days either, so I didn't get to show mom or my brother, I just had my own fortunate memory.

No comments: