Saturday, January 30, 2010

Movel? Splay? Suggesting a new literary form

What would a new literary form, based on the screenplay, be called? A novie? movel? I rather like splay, the shorthand for screenplay, because I like the image of opening up, covering a lot with a little, which is exactly what this storytelling form does. It is our most efficient narrative form.

I think the format would have to be changed a bit. Less jargon without sacrificing the form's concise nature.

For example, instead of EXT. FIELD - DAY one might write, IN A FIELD. DAY.

INT. APARTMENT - BEDROOM - NIGHT becomes IN THE BEDROOM, ANNIE'S APARTMENT, NIGHT.

With such minor changes, the screenplay becomes easily intelligible to a general audience, most of whom have never seen a screenplay before.

I'd also change the format of dialogue, to match fiction. He says, or he said etc. But I definitely would keep the verticality of the form, the white space that keeps it from looking text dense and sets it off from prose.

The more I think about it, the more I think the time is right for this new, or almost new, literary form, "the splay," a screenplay adapted for a general reading public. I'd really run with this idea if I were in my 20s or 30s. I hope someone does. This is the perfect storytelling form for our impatient times and for electronic readers.

Somebody can get rich on this idea. Just send me a 10% consulting fee.

2 comments:

Steve Anderson said...

Great posts. It's funny, I've been thinking a lot about this new way of storytelling too as a longtime fiction writer who's gotten the screenplay bug back after many years. It just seems so right for changing reading habits.

I like your ideas for the slugs. Dare I say it, but maybe the ALL CAPS would have to go eventually. White space would have to stay as it really helps moves the eyes along.

I'm sure others are thinking about this. Hopefully there's someone who's looking for a good cause and has lots of resources. I need all the time I can get for writing as is and I'm not getting any younger either, but I would definitely be having a go at it.

Most important, I think this could actually lead to better films. It could take the storytelling deeper while still relying on spare and economical telling.

Again, great food for thought. I've consulted your knowledge over the years online and in print. Thanks for all the wisdom.

-- Steve

Charles Deemer said...

Good post, thanks.