Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reading

One of the disadvantages of having a writing career as obsessively focused as mine, which translates into a workaholic's rhythm of multi-tasking, always working on several writing projects at once, is that I've had less time for reading than I would prefer. This is the period of my life to correct this. And rather than read randomly, my obsessive habits of behavior lead me toward a reading program. Thus I am thinking of an assault on the classics. I've always loved the classics -- I even studied classical Greek at UCLA (the one and only reason I got into Phi Beta Kappa: the president at the time was my Greek teacher, who pulled strings to get me in a year after graduation, a fascinating story I've told before here). I'm doing a little research to see what particular focus this might take.

Meanwhile I'm reading two excellent books: a short history of the Cold War and a short bio of Darwin, emphasizing the development of his ideas.

No comments: