Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The professor

I put on my teaching cap this morning, doing grunt work like getting my grade book ready for the term. Not a stressful day in class: watch 30 min DVD of interviews with screenwriters; after discussion, we'll watch 30 min Frankenweinie and I'll see if the class can break it down into its beginning-middle-end structural elements. Thursday I'll review the Basic Skills chapter in my book. And that's the week.

Take H to the airport at 5 a.m. tomorrow so I'll be out and about early. May get breakfast somewhere, likely Fat City if I do, Nobby's not opening until 8. And tomorrow is my first banjo class! I'm looking forward to this. If I actually master clawhammer finally, finally, finally, I may well make a CD to give to friends for Xmas. My left hand is fine from guitar and the banjo style I already know. I was getting close to clawhammer on my own when I destroyed my fingernail, and so went back to the safer Seeger strum. But clawhammer definitely has the old-timey feel more than any other style. And that's the style I'm attracted to.

I started a compelling odd tune for the aria of the wife ghost last night, just a line to remember and get me started. What I have to guard against is monotony, both rhythmic and tonal. At least I know. I find myself putting down a rather monotonous tune, then jazzing it up later.

I refuse to worry about anything until I have a draft, however. It's the only way I'll ever finish. My skill set is limited enough I could spend the rest of my life on the first four measures ha ha. I wish I could convince my students to take this approach!

No comments: