Thursday, January 14, 2010

Small change, big difference

I continue to marvel at how different the rhythm of my day feels now, after my decision to come out with a reader and formally "retire" as a text-focused writer. Of course, I'm still at work -- but composing a music drama, a chamber opera, is different from writing words, you begin to think in musical lines rather than language. And this proves to be a significant difference.

But I think the most significant difference is now, unlike before, I'm working with a limited skill set. As a writer, I mostly did what I set out to do. Those who don't respond to my work don't respond to my values and tastes in literature, though they might call it lack of "skill." I set out to do things and mostly did them. Blame my choices and tastes, not my execution. But with music, I simply don't have the skills necessary to do what I want to do, so I'm left with doing "musical and dramatic notes" for an end product, or more specifically, I only can write a vocal score and libretto, and likely not as well as I'd write a play or a screenplay or a short novel. Perhaps this reduces some kind of pressure.

At any rate, the new mode is somehow more relaxing than the former mode. I'm not retired, strictly speaking, but I'm feeling close. Definitely a mellow time.

Today I put on my professor's cap, all day. It will be a good day.

No comments: