Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Auto mechanic

Took a break from student papers to work on the old van I drive, topping its various fluids, checking the old lady out. I used to work on my VW Bug all the time when I was a young man, which I did with pride because I am more cerebral than mechanical by nature. My dad was impressed, which felt good, too. But cars have gotten so complicated, you can't do much with just a few hand tools any more, and you don't see guys and gals working on their cars the way you did decades ago.

And the sun has come out, the chill taken out of the day, and it feels almost like spring, a dangerous tease. Nothing like leisurely working on a car with the sun out. All that was missing was a game on the radio. A lost piece of Americana, I think.

Then Sketch and I took a test drive, and I got a coffee to go. Large iced coffee, my ritual. Maybe I'll save the remaining papers till tomorrow. Maybe not. Already put in some banjo practice, so my day is in good shape. I have grunt work and score work I could do. We'll see.

I almost wish I was given x months to live so I could chuck everything and go have an actual end of my time vacation. Otherwise I think I'll keep working till the end. Die with my boots on. But if I knew I had three months to live, say, I think I'd go to Costa Rica or Mexico and just lie in the sun, among other things ha ha.

I need to buy some mailing envelopes. Should've done that while I was out. Well, good excuse to go out again. Sketch settled in, though, doubt if he wants to come.

I also need to get to the library. 2 chores, that does it. I'll be off again.

Saw a glimpse of Apple's new iPad, it looks pretty cool. But I don't know why I'd need one. This netbook does everything I need done. Smartest thing I saw re iPad was its deal with McGraw-Hill to deliver college text ebooks. Students really need a break on their book costs. The price of education today, compared to my day, is shameful.

I love the sunshine! I am still a SoCal boy at heart, trapped in gray Oregon for decades.

No comments: