Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Film/video as novel

I find watching film or video on the Fire, or any hand held device I suppose, to be a more "intimate" experience than watching the same on TV or the big screen. I think it's because the screen is only a foot or so away, the image is sharp, the sound (with earphones or without) is more personal somehow -- viewer as intimate voyeur rather than as general audience member. I like the difference. Yes, I see advantages, for example, to watching a great documentary like "The Trials of J. Robert Oppenheimer" on the Fire rather than in a theater or on TV. Indeed, watching it the other day, I felt the exhilarating experience of witnessing great dramatic art as intensely as anything I've encountered since the USA trilogy audio book. Watching film or video in this way suggests the personal interaction of reading a novel, rather than "watching a movie," which is more of a social experience. It's more private, more intimate, more contemplative and reflective. I like it!

No comments: