Thursday, December 01, 2011

What Horse Meat Tastes Like

What Horse Meat Tastes Like:

"Horse is a versatile meat that lends itself to a variety of preparations. It has more protein, and less fat than lean beef. It tastes somewhat like a mix between beef and venison. It can be a bit sweeter than other red meats, yet still possesses a dense meat flavor with a hint of gaminess."

When I lived in Portland in the late 60s after dropping out of grad school, I frequented a horse meat market on Hawthorne Blvd at the time (now a deli), sent to it by a cook book published by some students at Reed College (see below). Horse meat is great in spaghetti sauce! A little too lean for hamburgers (grilling) to my tastes. But I used it a lot in spaghetti, casseroles, and so on. I preferred it to beef in these cases. And one dish the cookbook called Salisbury Mare.

Cookbook mentioned above

No comments: