Thursday, December 22, 2011

Productive morning (once again, on a roll)

Down in the basement office, writing, here because I don't get interrupted in the work as easily. A couple good new vignettes, figure I have only about a dozen left to do, I should be able to finish before school starts, the goal.

Man, it's a mess. But it's a good mess. The structure is there, more or less, and that's always the first thing I want to get a handle on. Structure holds everything together -- or not. The fun will be in the small details but right now it's the big picture I look at, the forest instead of the trees. And I feel pretty good about where I am so far. If the gods grant me time to finish, I should be fine.

Hope to read the O'Hara novella later today. In the mood for it. In the mood to look at those long Arthurian poems by Robinson, too.

Many years ago I heard a story about E. A. Robinson I like -- and then later I heard it about several other poets. It must be folklore. At any rate, it makes a good point and goes this way:

E. A. Robinson (or your poet of choice) was at a dinner party. A woman cornered him and asked what the daily life of a poet was like. Robinson replied, "Well, madam, today was a typical day. In the morning I inserted a comma in the third line of my new poem. In the afternoon I took it out."



Two good vignettes, a start on a third. A decent day's work in my new non-obsessive mode. Time to go upstairs and join the world.

No comments: