Wednesday, December 28, 2011

It's a wrap, or Now we can begin

The draft of Sodom, Gomorrah and Jones is done, coming in at 216 published pages, 47,000 words.

This is to the finished book as a sketch is to a painting. But I think the structure is solid, the characters mostly there.

Now the real fun begins. Today? Not sure. Maybe I'll brood. Maybe I'll browse through it. Maybe I'll read it and take notes on the Kindle. Maybe I'll go to the copy center and get a hard copy. Not exactly sure what to do with it at this moment.

But it's done! One door closes, another opens. The challenge: I know now the book I conceive can be done. It's all there. I don't yet know if I'm actually the one who can do it. Maybe I'm not good enough. We'll see.

The next milestone, which I hope is completed sooner rather than later, is the next draft, the first "public" draft, the first draft I'd actually share with someone, i.e. assume it is intelligible to someone.

No comments: