Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Artist, or an Oscar for Uggie!

I enjoyed The Artist. It's an entertaining, sometimes touching story done professionally. I would not nominate it for Best Picture, which means it likely will win. My Best Picture, Margin Call, probably won't even get nominated.

My favorite part of The Artist was the "dreaming of sound" sequence. But another part of the film bothered me considerably. This silent movie wasn't silent enough. The musical sound track never stopped, and it drove me crazy. I left the theater with a headache. Sound movies use SILENCE to good effect but there's no silence in The Artist. A silent movie that is never SILENT.

And Uggie the dog is worth the price of admission. Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Uggie!

1 comment:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Interesting comments on "The Artist". I have not seen it yet, perhaps on DVD and then I can hit the mute button.

I wonder how the audience would have reacted if indeed it were silent? My guess the majority would have grow antsy.