Sunday, December 25, 2011

My Christmas present to myself

Aram Saroyan
While looking for something else, I stumbled upon a Kindle edition of Genesis Angels (see below) for $2.99. I mean, this is about as clear a reality as I can think of to demonstrate how far off the mainstream my literary tastes are. This book, which I think is brilliant, has been out of print almost since the day it was published. Moreover, the new The Typewriter Is Holy doesn't even list it in its extensive bibliography! -- an oversight so major, in my view, that it suggests a personal motivation. Aram Saroyan must be on somebody's shit list.

Well, naturally I bought the book and now, after I finish the new one, I'll have the pleasure of rereading it on Kindle, probably my 5th or 6th time through the short book. I marvel at its poetic delivery every time I read it.  My brother, by the way, is listed in the "thanks to" section, Bill having known Lew Welch in San Francisco.

Genesis Angels for $2.99! Oh American literary culture!



Damn, it's exciting to have this book on my Kindle! It is always at hand. Another nice thing about Kindle, you can carry around your favorite books without effort. Always close at hand.



LATER. And to add to my excitement, my favorite novel (Connell's Mrs. Bridge) just came out on Kindle and next year Mailer's major works are coming out. Good reading in 2012!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Charles, Many thanks for your very kind words about Genesis Angels, and for taking note of the ebook. Very best to you and yours in 2012.

Aram