Thursday, December 01, 2011

Friday night lights: UCLA v. Oregon

On paper it's a blowout. Oregon is a 32 point favorite and even that may be low. And yet ...
The 2007 Stanford vs. Southern California football game was a college football game held on October 6, 2007, at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los AngelesCalifornia. In a remarkable upset, the visiting Stanford Cardinal won 24–23. Southern California was favored by 41 points over Stanford, making the game the largest point-spread upset in college football history. (Wikipedia)
After UCLA's last practice Wednesday, the players carried off the fired coach on their shoulders. This is Neuheisel's last game, so he can pull out all the stops and have nothing to lose. There's a longshot possibility this could turn into an interesting game. I'm even going to root for UCLA. Rather on principle.



Last day of class, pick up student projects.



Out of the blue I heard from a techie with whom I'd collaborated on a dramatic project decades ago. He says we were ahead of our time and now the time is right, wants to revive it. We'll meet after my grades are in. I want to hear what he has in mind. It was so long ago I am having trouble placing him, though I vaguely remember the project.



I'll go in early today to be available in case there are students in last-minute stress.



Heard yesterday from a former student who thought I was a terrible teacher. This happens now and again, and it always makes me feel bad. Fortunately my term evaluations say the opposite by significant numbers. Yet you hope you can reach everyone. What was strange about the communication, however, is that it came via the blog here. Why on earth would s/he (anonymous) read my blog? A masochist?



LATER. Anonymous has an anonymous friend who communicated to say I'm even far worse than the first anonymous suggested. I still have no idea why these folks are hanging out at this blog. Just to make sure I'm not losing my mind, I reviewed my class evaluations, where in fact I find someone I recognize.  But it's always a small tragedy when a class doesn't work out for a student, for whatever reason, especially in these days of outrageous tuition. I wish this student had come to my office hours and leveled with me if s/he was upset about something. I'm actually pretty easy to get along with.

No comments: