Saturday, December 24, 2011

Reading: Kindle v. Book

I did a lot of reading tonight, moving between two books, one a library hard cover, the other on the Kindle. Comparing the two reading experiences, I don't see one advantage of the book over the Kindle. The Kindle is superior in these ways:
  • easier to hold
  • easier to turn pages
  • clearer text (in fact, you can vary the type size on the Kindle; this is true in daylight as well)
  • easier to mark passages (simply highlight and it's automatically saved at Amazon)
  • easier to look up words (built in dictionary on the Kindle, put the cursor in front of the word, get the definition)
  • easier to take notes (just start typing)

For the life of me, I can't think of one advantage of the book over the Kindle. No, here's one: a book will survive being dropped to the floor and the Kindle may not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are several advantages of the book:

You can smell a book.
You can inscribe a book.
You can adorn your house with books.
Books give you the comfort that a Kindle just cannot.
Losing a book wouldn't be so disastrous as losing a Kindle.
I truly believe that real readers will continue with books.

Charles Deemer said...

So I'm not a "real reader"?

You emphasize the package. I emphasize the content. You are burdened down with objects. I travel light.

Happy holidays.

Charles Deemer said...

p.s. and you are anonymous. I have a name.

Anonymous said...

I'm a hard copy, old school, book fan. It's entirely aesthetic for me. I'm hopelessly into the smell and feel of book pages and have a small, but manageable, touch of technophobia. Although I have the same preference as Anonymous, I think a distinction between "real" and otherwise readers can't be made based on the mode of reading and is a silly kind of line to draw in the sand in any light... (although, to be fair, regarding the mode of reading - I know people who *listen* to airport novels and think of themselves as well-read. That's not even technically reading so maybe they're not "real" readers but I don't know and don't really care cuz I ain't here to judge.) I just dig me some aging books with musky yellowing pages.

-Lena

Charles Deemer said...

Another thing I like about Kindle is also what I like about micro-movies. Packaging is subordinate to content. That is, the dusty yellow pages of a 100 year old book disappear on the Kindle, making the presentation appear as contemporary as something written yesterday. Obviously there are two ways to look at this, according to personal taste, and I prefer the "removal of time" in the digital world. In micro-movies, a zillion dollar production from LaLaLand looks no better on a small digital device than the films I shoot with a Flip. In both cases, the focus is on content. I guess i'm a content kind of guy. It's personal taste and "there's no accounting for taste."