Friday, March 12, 2010

A basketball memory

I lettered in three sports my freshman year at Cal Tech, football, basketball and track. We won only one duel meet in track, as I recall, and no football games. But in basketball we were competitive because we had a guard, whose name I forget, who was about five-four and about 75% accurate from what is now three-point range. In those days the shots were only 2 ... in fact, if given 3, we would have won quite a few more games because this was our offense, get the kid free between half court and the paint, get him the ball and let him let loose with a bomb. Most of the time, swish! It was remarkable to witness. Not bad shooting at all for a brainy physics student ha ha.

At six foot I was a forward, the second tallest guy on the team. You get the picture. I recall I had one 20 pt game. Most of the time, I scored under 10. My job, like everyone else's, was to get the kid the ball and let him rip.

This memory popped into my head watching some three-point shooting on the sports news. This kid was every bit as good, maybe better, than these guys today. Wonder what happened to him.

No comments: